We love when chicken is crisp on the outside & juicy on the inside and always look for new ways to prepare it. Sometimes one simple addition, change or special method can do wonders. Some time ago we published Beer bottle chicken and it really is a great way to prepare it, but this time we got this amazing recipe from Krystyna - Janusz's mam. We slightly adjusted it just by adding some of our favourite herbs, freshly ground pepper and garnished it with fresh mint leaves.
And you. Maybe you have some interesting chicken recipes that make the chicken just divine? Do share it with us..
Meanwhile, this chicken is:
- Perfectly crispy. The skin is paper thin. The salt acts to absorb moisture from the air, and the dry air turns the skin deliciously crunchy. The crunchy skin then helps seal the juices in.
- Has less fat (than your usually roasted chicken) because again it all goes inside the salt.
- Is wonderfully golden brown,
- Extremely simple to prepare,
- Aromatic - we like to add the touch of our favourite herbs such as basil and herbes de Provence and ... a pinch of salt just on the top (we recommend to use sea salt).
And now we wanted to share a good news with you! After a successful interview I had some time ago for Irish biggest culinary magazine "Easy Food" we made it! Last week we had to do some test, which we successfully passed. We were sent some xmas recipes and were to cook, style and photograph five reader's desserts: Nigela's Christmas pudding, Pavlova, etc.
Our first paid assignment, yay! It was a lot of fun even though we are trying to avoid this kind of food (read: butter, cream, chocolate and suet) at the moment. Real struggle was with making Christmas wreaths, where you begin with melting butter and marshmallows, than add green colourant and corn flakes. We ended up with sticky mixture that we couldn't handle at first but than second time around after adjusting cornflakes, we managed somehow. Anyways to cut long story short all photos were accepted by the editors and we can not wait for them to be published in December issue. Once we have pdf or online version, we will share the link with you.
Meanwhile, a recipe for chicken:
- 1kg whole chicken
- 1kg salt
- herbs (basil, provansal) or any your favourite
- some pepper
- mint or basil leaves for garnish
Rinse chicken then dry it with paper towel. Pour the salt into a baking pan. Preheat oven to 180°C. Make a dimple in the middle, but not so deep that the bottom of the pan shows through. Place the chicken there, breast side up. Really lightly salt the top and also the inside, than season the chicken generously inside and out with herbs and pepper. Bake in the oven for one hour until golden brown. The general rule is to bake one hour for every 1 kg of meat. After chicken is ready, take it out of the oven, garnish with freshly ground black pepper and herb leaves. Enjoy wit fresh bread or salad!